ELAW partners from around the world gather at ELAW Annual Meetings
The Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (ELAW) helps communities speak out for clean air, clean water, and a healthy planet. We are a global alliance of attorneys, scientists and other advocates collaborating across borders to promote grassroots efforts to build a sustainable, just future.
ELAW advocates, working in their home countries, know best how to protect the environment. By giving our partners the legal and scientific support they need, ELAW helps challenge environmental abuses and builds a worldwide corps of skilled, committed advocates working to protect ecosystems and communities for generations to come.
The key to our strategy is locating strong lawyers who are committed to protecting the environment in their home countries. We collaborate to win big victories at low cost.
Responding to requests from partners around the world, we provide the support our partners need:
- Strategic support as partners develop cases and strengthen environmental laws
- Scientific equipment and training to monitor environmental conditions
- Scientific assessment of environmental data to identify toxins and their source
- Model laws and regulations, such as laws protecting water quality
- Environmental and human rights records of multinational corporations
- Expert scientific testimony to support cases against polluters
- Critiques of environmental impact assessments and development proposals
- Support challenging international financial institutions
- Help drafting petitions and other court filings
- Information about cleaner, more sustainable technologies.
ELAW's Community Legal Education program helps inform decisionmakers and engage citizens to build a healthier future for communities and the planet. ELAW partners publish guides to citizen participation, train community "paralegals" to represent community interests, and empower citizens to play a role in decisions that impact their lives.
ELAW also helps its partners gain skills and build strong organizations that will work to protect the environment for years to come. We have hosted more than 100 lawyers for ELAW Fellowships in Eugene, Oregon, where they gain language skills, tap legal and scientific resources, work closely with ELAW staff, and learn from U.S. efforts to protect communities and the environment.
By empowering our partners, ELAW achieves two key objectives:
- We help win victories for the environment, and
- We build lasting, local capacity to defend the global environment.