Subject: Human Rights & Environment (1)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:30:55 +0000
From: "Lalanath de Silva"
Dear Colleauges and Friends,
As part of the undertaking I gave to all of you at the last Annual Meeting in Guadalahara, Mexico, I plan to provide the netwrok with important and valuable documentation regarding the relationship between Human Rights and the Environment (HR & E). I will keep these e-mails short. In most, I will provide links to documents available at reliable websites with a brief description of what the document is. In others, where only a hard copy is available I will obtain copies and send them to the ELAW Secretariat in Eugene, so that any of you could request a copy. If you are unable to access the document on the web, let me know and I will e-mail it to your personal address.
There are 6 useful papers on the subject found on the web site of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCHR). These are background papers and cover International and Regional Conventions on HR & E, Jurisprudence of International and Regional Human Rights bodies and reviews of the jurisprudence of key regions of the world on HR & E. The papers focus on the period between Rio and Johannesburg and were prepared for a meeting of experts from ENEP & OHCHR in January 2002 in Geneva. Several instances of your work is cited in these papers.
The web site it: http://www.unhchr.ch/environment/
1. Background Paper No. 1 - Human Rights and Environment Issues in Multilateral Treaties Adopted between 1991 and 2001 - Professor Dinah Shelton, Notre Dame University.
2. Background Paper No. 2 - Human Rights and the Environment: Jurisprudence of Human Rights Bodies – Professor Dinah Shelton, Notre Dame University.
3. Background Paper No. 3 - The Intersection of Human Rights and Environmental Issues: A review of institutional developments at the international level - Dr Adriana Fabra, Instituto Internacional de Derecho y Medio Ambiente.
4. Background Paper No. 4 - Human Rights and the Environment: the national experience in South Asia and Africa, Dr Jona Razzaque.
5. Back ground Paper No. 5 - Information, Participation and Access to Justice: the Model of the Aarhus Convention, Jonas Ebbesson, Stockholm University.
6. Background Paper No. 6 - Review of jurisprudence on human rights and the environment in Latin America, Adriana Fabra and Eva Arnal, Instituto Internacional de Derecho y Medio Ambiente.