Vanuatu Plastic Related Laws
Waste Management Regulations Order No. 15 of 2018 (pursuant to authority under Waste Management Act No. 24 of 2014):
- Regulates the manufacturing and distribution of single-use plastics as waste management – “Prohibition of the manufacturing [and use] of certain waste items.”
- The law prohibits the manufacturing of disposable containers (defined as a closed container less than a foot long made of polystyrene, including hinged or lidded containers), single-use plastic bags (defined as shopping bag designed for use in trade and commerce made of polyethylene with a thickness of less than 35 microns), and plastic, single use straws.
- For individuals, punished by a fine of maximum VT 500,000 or maximum 3 months imprisonment.
- For corporate entities, punished by a fine of maximum VT1,000,000.
- The law prohibits providing disposable containers or straws to any other person in the course of carrying on a business.
- The law prohibits providing single use plastic bags to any other person in the course of carrying on a business.
- Exception for bags used to contain, wrap, or carry meat (undefined) or fish (defined as any aquatic plant or animal, including its eggs).
- For individuals, punishable by a fine of maximum VT500,000 or maximum 3 months imprisonment.
- Corporate entities, punishable by a fine of maximum VT1,000,000.
Date of the Resource:
Content for Websites: